In Office Balloon Sinuplasty Surgery in Foley & Daphne, AL
What is Balloon Sinuplasty?
Balloon Sinuplasty is a minimally invasive procedure for treating chronic or recurrent sinusitis, a condition characterized by inflammation of the sinuses. This advanced treatment opens up blocked or narrow sinus passages to relieve sinus pain and pressure without the need for cutting. During the procedure, natural sinus openings and surrounding tissue are preserved.
Dr. Keith Kowal at ENT Centers of Excellence in Foley & Daphne, AL is the only sinus specialist in Baldwin County who offers Balloon Sinuplasty in-office. He can also perform Balloon Sinuplasty as an outpatient procedure.
Why is Balloon Sinuplasty performed?
Patients who have chronic sinusitis (sinus infection) that has not responded well to conservative treatments, such as antibiotics, are typically good candidates for in-office balloon sinuplasty. Chronic sinusitis is defined as a lingering sinus infection that lasts for more than 12 weeks.
Additionally, you may be considered a good candidate for in-office Balloon Sinuplasty if you have:
- Persistent nasal congestion and discolored drainage from the nose
- Chronic sinus headaches
- Chronic sore throat with hoarseness
- A history of four or more cases of acute sinusitis in one year
What does Balloon Sinuplasty involve?
Depending on your needs, our sinus specialist Dr. Kowal will recommend either general or local anesthetic for the Balloon Sinuplasty procedure. In many cases, the sinusitis treatment can be performed in-office, but some patients will need to undergo Balloon Sinuplasty as an outpatient procedure.
This FDA-approved sinus procedure involves the use of tiny balloons to open sinus blockages, similar to how angioplasty uses balloons to open blocked coronary arteries. There are four steps involved in the procedure:
- A tiny balloon catheter is inserted through the nostril and into the inflamed sinus.
- Once the tube is in place, the tiny balloon is slowly inflated to expand the sinus opening. This effectively opens up the sinus passage and restructures it so that the sinuses can drain more easily, but it is gentle enough that it does not harm the delicate sinus lining.
- Saline solution is sprayed into the sinus cavity to help flush out built-up pus and mucus that has been trapped in the cavity.
- The balloon is deflated and carefully removed, leaving the sinus passage open and able to drain properly.
What are the advantages of Balloon Sinuplasty?
The Balloon Sinuplasty procedure offers a number of advantages, including:
- Minimally invasive procedure that can be performed in-office
- Clinically proven to be a safe and effective treatment for sinusitis
- No cutting involved
- Quick recovery time has you back to normal activities within several days
- Can be used with other medical therapies or sinus surgery options
- Does not limit future treatment options if you have a progressive disease
- Allows you to break free from sinusitis symptoms and sinus medications that are not working
Dr. Keith Kowal, a highly experienced ear, nose, and throat (ENT) doctor and sinus infection specialist in Foley & Daphne, Alabama, is an expert in minimally invasive surgery, including Balloon Sinuplasty and robot-assisted surgery. If you are suffering from chronic sinusitis and other treatments have not worked for you, arrange a consultation with Dr. Kowal to learn whether in-office Balloon Sinuplasty is the right treatment to cure your sinus infection. Call 251.943.1117 now to schedule an appointment or simply fill out the form on this page.