Symptoms of a Facial Carcinoma
Together with oral cancers, facial carcinoma (cancer), are the sixth most common types of cancers in the world. Learning to recognize possible symptoms, can help you get the medical care you need to begin treatment as soon as possible, and hopefully before the cancer spreads.
What are facial carcinomas?
Facial carcinomas are cancers of the face, and are often grouped together with cancers of the mouth. Collectively, they’re called orofacial cancers, which can also be referred to as cancer of the head and neck.
How does someone get facial carcinoma?
The following are some risk factors for various types of facial carcinoma:
- Tobacco usage
- Alcohol usage
- Infection with cancer-causing types of HPV (human papillomavirus)
- Consumption of certain preserved or salted foods
- Occupational exposures including: wood dust, asbestos, formaldehyde, and synthetic fibers
- Epstein-Barr virus infection
How can you lessen your risk of facial carcinoma?
Receiving regular medical and dental care can help lessen your risks of facial carcinoma so symptoms can be detected in its early stages. Additionally, avoiding harmful habits - such as tobacco use - can lessen your risk.
The symptoms below can be associated with less serious conditions, yet if evident, you should always check with a doctor or dentist as they can be related to facial carcinoma:
- White or red patch on your gums/tongue
- Swollen jaw
- Unusual pain or bleeding in the mouth
- Trouble breathing or speaking
- Painful swallowing
- Lingering pain in the neck or throat
- Trouble hearing
- Frequent headaches
- Pain or ringing in the ears
- Chronic sinus infections that resist treatment
- Pain in the upper teeth
- Swelling under the chin or around the jawbone
- Lingering pain in the face, neck, or chin
What types of treatment are used?
Treatment for facial carcinoma depends on several factors, including if the cancer has spread or remains localized. Your doctor may recommend one or more of the following treatments:
- Radiation therapy
If you have any symptoms that could indicate the presence of facial carcinoma, make an appointment today with ENT Centers of Excellence in Foley and Daphne, Alabama. Our ear, nose, and throat specialists offer comprehensive diagnosis and treatment for conditions affecting adults and children.